Friday, February 26, 2010

Getting Rich By Being Poor

Driving down old potch rd it hit me how on point Letu was. The billboards in Soweto are very much different from the ones in your Rosebank, Hilton, Sandton, Hatfield areas.

But also similar in the way that they sell a lifestyle.

And people buy into it with out really noticing.

It's something that Think and Grow Rich taught me: Autosuggestion.

Which basically means if an image keeps being fed repeatedly in your mind, we find ways of attracting it, i.e. A friend keeps going on about a certain shops where the best deals in out can be found, sooner or later you find yourself in the shop.

Or in our case every corner I turn I see 20ft billboard dedicated to selling me beer.

Because "REAL MEN DRINK BLACK LABEL."

If the companies selling the poverty stricken a lifestyle of finding salvation at the bottom of a beer bottle were not making money of this strategy, then we would be seeing them on the main roads of our townships.

But we do.

How benefits more by keeping people ignorant in managing their lives than the people how really on this ignorance in order to make profits.

I had a discussion with one of my facebook on how for me it's like deciding for which team I want to play for.

The Winners or the Losers.

The entrepeneur or the worker.

The power of advertising exploits the masses at a subconscious level to become dependent on business for their survival.

It is unconscious that is why most would disagree with the above statement.

A guy once ask, "How long would you survive if you stopped working today?"

Most would because the trap by business has worked too well.

Most can't imagine the thought of having to fend for their self basing their income on performance rather than time.

I can work on serving 10 happy clients a week than reek in maybe R500 each (performance) who in turn do my marketing for me via word of mouth or I can go spend almost 10hrs a day preparing, travelling, working, travelling, returning every work day only to get paid R5k at the end of 4 weeks.

I live amongst people who find the latter easier than the former because just like billboards, you find people, media, churches, friends and family who sell the idea which could be translated as, "You rather be broke and go to work or learn increase the money you earn at will by going in to business."

"Oh and by the way, what are we drinking today?"


(c) Musawenkosi Tshoaele, 2010

No comments: