Sunday, December 5, 2010

I Wondered, “What Else Makes Successful People So Successful?” And It Came To Me, They Are Successful Because They Are Courageous

"Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be" - George Sheehan

There is a certain level of guts that one must have to set goal for herself, especially when she is surrounded by family & friends that are not accustomed to goal setting.

There was a time when I thought all I had to do was set goals for myself and that's all I had to do to become successful.

i.e. I used to just think about what I wanted to achieve and just leave it at that. I was led to believe that this was not goal setting, only wishful thinking.

I've come across people who don't have constructive goals in their lives. The aim at nothing, and they achieve nothing all the time, and my way of "achieving" success was no better.

As it turns out not only do I need to have goals of what I would want or become or do in my life but I need to develop the plans of successfully achieving these goals that I wanted.

That takes another calling up of those same guts I brought to the par the time I decided to want to achieve major goals that will affect my life and those of my family in a positive way.

It takes courage to have goals.

It takes courage to even think about writing out a plan on how to reach these goals.

But hold on to your hats folks 'cause that's not all, we need to woman up YET again, and call up this long distance friend by the name of Courage - who I would like to name as my 13th Disciple - for another round.

Because now that (1) we have goals, now that (2) we have plans of what we believe needs to happen for us to achieve these goals, we need to put the hammer to the nail and (3) take action on the plans we have setup for ourselves, and we do this so that we can reach the reason for all this effort (what Earl Nightingale calls "paying the price"), our goals.


So not only do I have to have the courage to even think about goals I want to achieve but I have to make plans for their realisation? And not only that, but I now I have to take action on the plans I have conjured up in order for me to reach my goals?

So much courage for someone like me how was conditioned to confirm and accept my fears as the master to which I was a slave to, is all too much too ask, I once thought.

That was all good and well until there was this rage inside of me that consumed me into taking action.

The anger that motivated me into action.

I used to cower in a little corner every time I feared to do something about my circumstances, to change them to the way I saw fit.

I saw that I can't change my circumstance so I changed ME first. And in that change I felt I needed to leave my undesired circumstance so to become something greater.

And every time I took that first step towards change fear rocks up and had me curling up like a pathetic conformist with an entitlement mentality, depending on a system that won't think twice of coughing me out all in the name of profit.

But as I continued reading self development books and listening to self help audios, watching motivational videos on YouTube and attending seminars that spoke about vehicles I can use to achieve "financial freedom", and over time I came to a point where a part of me just snapped.

I lost it and said to hell with it. I stood up from that corner, with my body shaking in absolute fury, I pointed my finger at fear and said, "TO HELL WITH YOU!"

And with that I took the courage I have always had and did the unthinkable. And freed myself from, as it turns out, a fear that a lot of people I was associated with were enslaved by.

I broke through my chains and I was surprised at how is it was.

It reminded me of that David and Goliath story of how just one swing took out the fear that every one else was making such a fuss about.

How just that one swing was able to rebuke the illusion of fear out of my sight.

But I have to admit it took some courage from my part.

Little courage, small courage, it's a semantics. Mountain or ant hill it's all in how you look at it.

Take action.

That's all you need to do to successfully eliminate your fears. Take action. Do the thing that you fear and you will become a stronger person as you make your way towards your heart's desire, as you slice your way through the Goliaths of your life.

Take that swing towards Goliath and liberate yourself from yourself.

But don't be surprised by how many of them pop up to intimidate you when faced with another situation that stirs you to action.

It's those disciplined swings you need to take ever so constantly that might take you off your game for a moment but always remember your sling, who knows, you might get so good at it that they would start leaving you alone.

(c) Musawenkosi Tshoaele, 2010. All rights reserved.





No comments: