Thursday, January 13, 2011

How A Turtle Can Run Circles Around You In Slow Motion And Still Leave You Breathless

turtle finding nemo Pictures, Images and Photos
My friend had a turtle tied to the fence with a rope, which acted like a leash, roped through its shell.

Once left untied, I was told, the turtle had a tendency of having a search party looking all over for him, thanks to the neighbours in the surrounding homes within their complex, which at times took the whole day before they found the little rascal.

In amazement I lifted the little bugger and gently placed him as near to the fence it was tied to as possible so to hopefully witness the speed it took to make its gateway, only to the extent of the rope it was tied to of course.

The jailbird eventually stuck its head out, maybe realizing that the coast might be clear for another prison break, and to my amazement, even though I shouldn't have been - I mean it WAS a turtle - the little guy began taking little, turtle steps forward.

Slow, small turtle steps forward, one after another.

And here was a guy I was told that once I untie him and ignore him for less than 5 minutes, would do a Houdini on me.

But on taking a closer look, you could swear that each and every one of his steps forward were deliberate. As small as they might seem to the naked eye, this guy had the law of compounding effect on his side.

A universal law Jeff Olson brought to my attention in a book a friend borrowed me called "The Slight Edge."

You might have heard of it?

In any case, Jeff made an example of this law of compounding effect by telling a story about two sons who where asked to choose one of two forms of inheritance.

Whether they wanted to receive 1 million dollars immediate cash over 1 cent every day that doubles every day (as in 1c becomes 2c which then becomes 4c and then 8c, etc)?

The one son chose the one million, which after 30 days amounted to half a million due to the economy, staff that needed to be paid, bad debts, loans, etc.

But the son that choice the 1 cent inheritance was worth over ten million dollars ($10,737,418.24c to be precise) on day 30.

Thanks to this Universal law of compounding effect.

Activating this law of compounding effect by actively being involved in day to day activities that bring you closer and closer to your goal, is a discipline that is easy to do, and easy not to do.

Keeping in mind that once you brake the chain of your daily compounding actions you lose its power, as in skipping a day makes success long in coming to you.


Some of the daily disciplines that Jeff Olsen writes about in "The Slight Edge" include:

» reading 20 pages a day from a self help book - an empowering book that provides you with applicable principles that you can begin using today to change your life for the better;

» listening to 15 minutes of a self empowering audio every day and going to a self improvement seminar or workshop every other month.

Yes, he was inspired by the great American motivational speaker and business man Jim Rohn who also preaches these kind of disciplines in his teachings & articles, articles I receive regularly via emails from subscribing for free on this site www.JimRohn.com by the way.

Jeff delivers this all the above disciplines so to change your Philosophy - See for more http://www.topachievement.com/slightedge.html - of life.

Which, according to his multi millionaire organizations he built and the people he does workshops with & his personal experience, determines the results of how our life turns out.

Through "The Slight Edge" Jeff Olson shifted something inside of me that invites me to approach for success with just small, disciplined, persistent, consistent actions towards my goal every day. Hence this article of appreciation for his work and positive, empowering influence on me.

My success will only “easily” come to me through the use of deliberate, planned steps I take daily towards it. Through what the author of the book “The Slight Edge” calls daily disciplines and not errors in judgment repeated over time that will sabotage my success.

This book should make up part of your personal development library I am recommend you buy yourself a copy on either (affiliate recommendation) Amazon.com or attract it in one of your local bookstores.

Thank you.

I love you.

~ Musawenkosi Tshoaele

No comments: